What is BaSyx
Eclipse BaSyx is the open source platform for next generation automation. It implements key concepts defined by Platform Industrie 4.0, such as the Asset Administration Shell as standardized digital twin.
Our mission is to provide a free software platform that enables all interested parties, large and small companies, research institutes, academia, and interested persons, to participate in and to shape the fourth industrial revolution. We believe that the availability of a free reference technology platform is a key success factor for the Industrie 4.0.
Eclipse BaSyx therefore provides common and re-useable off-the shelf Industrie 4.0 components and SDKs (Java, C# and C++) that support the implementation of new Industrie 4.0 software components to enable rapid development of Industrie 4.0 solutions. BaSyx furthermore supports reference application scenarios for common Industrie 4.0 challenges such as a changeable production to enable individualized goods, leveraging big data analytics and connecting heterogeneous devices and systems while minimizing downtime and other associated costs.
In the following video Frank Schnicke (Fraunhofer IESE) is explaining the Eclipse BaSyx middleware by using a model factory (English subtitles provided).
Eclipse BaSyx supports relevant standards
- The Asset Administration Shell is standardized as IEC 63278-1 ED1.
- Simulation models may be encapsulated as Functional Mockup Units conforming to the Functional Mockup Interface (FMI) standard.
- Semantic annotations, e.g. conforming to ECLASS and/or IEC CDD IEC 61360-4 is supported to provide semantic knowledge regarding the meaning of properties and servicess
- Messages exchange via using protocols based on ISO/IEC 20922:2016.
- Integration of communicating manufacturing assets using protocols based on IEC 62541.
Eclipse BaSyx enables connectivity and communication using different technologies:
- MQTT - communication using publish/subscribe method can be used in distinct ways: for example reading data from edge devices and writing into an AAS Sub model; other way round, for example by transfering data from a sub model into an MQTT Broker.
- OPC-UA - enabling communication between edge devices and BaSyx middleware, as well as directly with PLCs.
- S3 - integration with S3 cloud technology brings flexibility and enable scalability to deal with large volumes of data.
- PLC4X - enabling connectivity to field bus systems. (Under development)
Applications & Tools
Eclipse BaSyx provides pre-configured Industry 4.0 tools, and is compatible with ready-to-use (open-source) toolchains:
- The AAS Package Explorer enables users to create Asset Administration shells and AAS Sub Models for assets. It also enables the creation of new AAS types and sub model types.
- The BaSyx AAS Viewer application enables users to lookup AAS and sub model from a registry server, and displays AAS contents to enable process tracking.
- The open-source Eclipse Streamsheets application enables real-time data analytics, transformation and analysis.
- The open-source Grafana application enables the creation of dashboards, and virtual control rooms.
- The open-source Node.Red application automates reaction to events, e.g. detected unusual sensor values.
- The open-source Camunda BPMN Engine enables the creation of workflows which describe production processes.